For one-semester A&P courses
A Bestseller Revitalized with a Modern Design and Robust Media
Now in its Eleventh Edition, the best-selling Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology continues to set the standard for one-semester A&P texts. With her hallmark clear and friendly writing style and meaningful analogies, Elaine Marieb emphasizes the relevance of anatomy & physiology to students’ lives and future careers.
New clinical photos in the Homeostatic Imbalance feature help students visualize diseases and disorders, and new integrated Concept Links help students make connections across topics and body systems. A new, more modern design makes the book more accessible than ever, and new specific references to MasteringA&P direct students to study tools and resources that reinforce their understanding of chapter concepts.
Written specifically for the one-semester course, this text presents a superior teaching and learning experience for you and your students. The program allows you to:
- Bring A&P concepts to life and provide real-world context: A dramatic art and photo program features 3-D anatomy illustrations, process figures with descriptive step text, realistic bone art, illustrated tables, and new clinical photographs in the Homeostatic Imbalance feature.
- Help students study and retain information: Effective pedagogy, including new Concept Links, Did You Get It? concept check questions, figure questions, and end-of-chapter review questions help students study and retain the information they need.
- Personalize learning with MasteringA&P: MasteringA&P provides students with engaging experiences that coach them through tough topics in A&P, with tools that help them visualize, practice, and understand A&P. Instructors can easily assign a wide range of question and activity types for automatic grading. New for the Eleventh Edition, learning outcomes and Homeostatic Imbalance features are now numbered for easy assignment in MasteringA&P.
MasteringA&P is not included. Students, if MasteringA&P is a recommended/mandatory component of the course, please ask your instructor for the correct ISBN and course ID. MasteringA&P should only be purchased when required by an instructor. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
MasteringA&P is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment product designed to personalize learning and improve results. With a wide range of interactive, engaging, and assignable activities, students are encouraged to actively learn and retain tough course concepts.
Features + Benefits
This title is a Pearson Global Edition. The Editorial team at Pearson has worked closely with educators around the world to include content which is especially relevant to students outside the United States.
A modular approach offers instructors flexibility in covering the material they want, in the order they prefer.
- Twelve short chapters cover the basic material.
- 21 chapter extensions delve deeper into specific topics, if the instructor chooses to do so. Five of the extensions cover Access and Excel skills.
- A fully annotated instructor’s edition gives professors helpful hints and tips for creating a more engaging classroom.
Focus on important themes of ethics, security, and other timely topics through the text’s Guides.
- Three Guides per chapter–one each on ethics, security, and timely topics–foster thought, discussion, and active participation by concentrating on current issues in information systems. These amplify the chapter’s core material and help students strengthen their problem-solving skills to become better business professionals.
- NEW! In order to provide a deeper and richer discussion of ethical considerations, every Ethics Guide asks students to apply Immanuel Kant’s categorical imperative, utilitarianism, or both to the business situation described in the guide. The categorical imperative is introduced in the Ethics Guide in Chapter 1 and utilitarianism is introduced in the Ethics Guide in Chapter 2.
Connect classroom knowledge to everyday life with illustrative cases and a number of exercises and other interactive features:
- Chapter Introduction Business Examples demonstrate how information is relevant in the real world and include:
- NEW! AllRoad Parts case vignettes introduce chapters and are integrated throughout. AllRoad Parts is an online vendor of off-road parts that is considering 3D printing and ultimately rejects that idea because of the effect it would have on business processes and IS. Instead, the company offers 3D printing designs as a product as revealed in Chapters 1-6.
- PRIDE, a Performance Recording, Integration, Delivery, and Evaluation system, that uses cloud technology and a wide array of mobile devices to integrate patient exercise data with health care providers, health clubs, insurance agencies, and employers.
- MIS InClass features in each chapter contain exercises, projects, and questions that help students connect classroom knowledge to everyday life. Ideal for use in class group work, they encourage active participation.
- Active Review contains tasks for students to perform in order to demonstrate their ability to answer the questions.
- Using Your Knowledge Exercises test students’ critical-thinking skills as they apply their knowledge to practice problems.
- Chapter-Ending Cases–all less than one year old–allow students to think about the information in the chapter as it relates to a real business.
- Collaboration Exercises foster teamwork outside of the classroom by enabling students to work on projects collectively, via collaboration software such as SharePoint through MyMISLab.
- Office Application Exercises allow students to complete business application assignments in Excel or Access.
Keep content current to help keep your students up to date with the most recent events.
- NEW! Every sentence and industry reference is checked for obsolescence in an attempt to keep each chapter current. Events move fast, and to keep the text current, the Fifth Edition includes changes and updates in every chapter. For example:
- The sixth edition’s glorification of Apple’s success in Chapter 4 needed to be softened given Apple’s recent experience.
- The excitement about Microsoft Surface that was prevalent when Kroenke wrote the fourth edition had to be placed into context of Surface’s mediocre success.
- Meanwhile, 3D printing is hot, and students now have an opportunity to consider its effect on processes and IS in the AllRoad scenarios.
- NEW! Chapter 6 is entirely rewritten to focus on the cloud. Data communications technology is presented only in its role as supporting the cloud. SOA coverage is increased, and the author presents more material on Web services that is used in subsequent chapters.
- This edition teaches and uses the latest versions of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access.
MasteringA&P® is not included. Students, if MasteringA&P is a recommended/mandatory component of the course, please ask your instructor for the correct ISBN and course ID. MasteringA&P should only be purchased when required by an instructor. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
Personalize learning with MasteringA&P: MasteringA&P provides students with engaging experiences that coach them through tough topics in A&P, with tools that help them visualize, practice, and understand A&P. Instructors can easily assign a wide range of question and activity types for automatic grading. New for the Eleventh Edition, learning outcomes and Homeostatic Imbalance features are now numbered for easy assignment in MasteringA&P.
- Available for the first time with this book, MasteringA&P self-paced tutorials integrate hints and immediate wrong-answer feedback to emulate the office hour experience and help students grasp key course concepts. New interactive learning tools include:
- NEW! Book-specific Coaching Activities are assignable activities that bring interactivity to key physiological processes using art from the book.
- NEW! Homeostatic Imbalance Questions assess students on their comprehension of the Homeostatic Imbalance content in each chapter, making one of the book’s hallmark features now assignable. Every Homeostatic Imbalance feature has an assignable clinical question in MasteringA&P.
- NEW! Coaching and Review activities include:
- NEW! A&P Flix™ Coaching Activities are 3-D movie-quality animations with self-paced tutorials and gradable quizzes that help students master the toughest topics in anatomy & physiology.
- NEW! Clinical Case Study Coaching Activities increase problem-solving skills and prepare students for future careers in allied health. Corresponding Teaching Notes give instructors valuable tips on when and how to use case studies in the classroom.
- NEW! Get Ready for A&P Video Tutors feature award-winning teacher Lori Garrett walking students through key basic concepts needed for students to be successful in A&P. The key concepts covered include: Atomic Structures, Chemical Bonds, Ionic Bonds, Covalent Bonds, Hydrogen Bonds, General Cell Structure, Cell Membrane Structure, Diffusion, Osmosis, and Cell Cycle. Each Video Tutor also includes assignable, multiple-choice questions that include hints and specific wrong-answer feedback. Instructors can easily assign Video Tutors in MasteringA&P for automatic grading.
- NEW! BioFlix® Coaching Activities use dynamic 3-D animations to teach the toughest biology topics.
- Chemistry Review Activities help students strengthen their chemistry knowledge, addressing what they need to succeed in A&P.
- NEW! Dynamic Study Modules are a highly efficient learning application instruc